Author Topic: Needs["Rotations`OrientationalSampling`"] (SD 2.5.5)  (Read 2142 times)

MichaelTayler

• View Profile
    • Visit my website
Needs["Rotations`OrientationalSampling`"] (SD 2.5.5)
« on: February 05, 2013, 12:11:57 PM »
When loading the sub-package OrientationsAndWeights there appears a very helpful message stating the in-built sampling sets that one can use:

Code: [Select]
Needs["Rotations`OrientationalSampling`"]

However, if one executes the above code again, the message disappears and it cannot be recovered (as far as I know) without restarting Mathematica's Kernel. 

While the list of available sampling schemes can still be obtained using

Code: [Select]
Orientations[]
it would be nice to make the message with "Needs" permanent.

MalcolmHLevitt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Needs["Rotations`OrientationalSampling`"] (SD 2.5.5)
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 12:05:52 PM »
Thanks Michael,
 the message appears when the package "Rotations`OrientationalSampling`" is loaded and added to $Path. When Needs[..] is executed again, Mathematica looks to see if the package is already on $Path (and therefore loaded), and does not load again if it is there. So there is no way to force Needs[..] to regenerate the message a second time, without redefining the built-in Needs function, which might have unintended consequences, and is inadvisable. So there is no straight workaround for this.

However, as you discovered, executing or Orientations[] or OrientationsAndWeights[] will list the available orientational sampling schemes.

MichaelTayler

• View Profile
    • Visit my website
Re: Needs["Rotations`OrientationalSampling`"] (SD 2.5.5)
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 09:41:44 PM »
Thanks Malcolm,
Yes, that is probably too much unnecessary poking around.  A note in SD's documentation on OrientationsAndWeights should be enough.